Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator Update cookies preferences

Financial support

Financial support

There are many different types of support to ease with the financial pressures that can come with caring for a child or young person with additional needs.

Support with understanding what benefits you may be eligible for

You and your family could be entitled to extra financial help through the following welfare benefits:

  • York's Financial Assistance Scheme - provides a one support package solution for residents in financial difficulty
  • City of York Council’s Benefits Advisers - if you need help, contact your support worker or local advice service. You can also contact the City of York Council's Benefits Advisers or York Citizens Advice Bureau
  • Contact a Family - can give you information on benefits and other sources of financial help; you can call the free Contact a Family helpline and the staff can carry out a full benefits check for you
  • Entitledto - can help people figure out what they can claim from national and local government via their self-serve calculators; this includes information on income-related benefits, tax credits, contribution-based benefits, Council Tax Reduction, Carer’s Allowance, Universal Credit and how your benefits will be affected if you start work
  • Turn2us - can help you work out your entitlement to income-related benefits, Universal Credit and tax credits
  • Disability Grants - this website brings together a number of grants for disabled people; you can search nationally or in your local area
  • Family Fund - are the largest provider of grants to low-income families raising disabled and seriously ill children and young people
  • Mencap - gives advice and support about benefits available

Grants or funding you may be eligible for

You and your family may be eligible for the following grants or funding:

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - (Previously named Disability Living Allowance, DLA) can help with some of the extra costs caused by a long term illness or a disability if you're aged between 16 and 64
  • Disability Access Fund (DAF) - guidance is available for 3 and 4 year old children who are eligible for DLA (Disability Living Allowance) to increase their inclusion at their early years provision
  • Carers Allowance - the benefit is for those who are providing care for someone with substantial caring needs
  • Disabled Student Allowance - are for students in higher education who live in England; You can apply for a DSA if you have a disability, long term health condition; mental health condition or specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia

Personal Budgets

Personalised Budgets, including Direct Payments are available to children and young people who have more complex needs and have had an assessment to help meet their needs.

Find out more about Personalised Budgets.

Discount Cards

There are a range of discount cards available to families of children with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND).

Universal Offer of training and advice for families and professionals

Visit the Universal Offer